Every promotional marketing campaign should be tracked for its contribution towards company profitability. I have met numerous, otherwise sensible business people who don’t know which of their advertising campaigns work and which don’t because they simply don’t track the responses. If you aren’t making your campaigns accountable and measurable then you don’t know if your marketing budget could have been spent more effectively producing even better results?
Here are some thoughts for you to consider:
- Have you analysed previous campaign results and adjusted your campaign focus accordingly?
- Know your outcome before you start the campaign. Impossible? Not if you know your target market and the effectiveness of your chosen marketing channel.
- Know your enquiry conversion rate and therefore how many enquiries the campaign needs to produce.
- Have a clear idea of the ROI necessary for your campaign to ‘wash its face’.
- Give your colleagues clear instructions that if they are dealing with an enquiry then they must ask where the caller saw their number – email shot, leaflet, poster, social media etc.
- Record all such information in a central source for ease of review.
Accountable Marketing is only half the battle though. Once your marketing has done its job, it is up to the sales team to convert the leads that have been generated and there are some scare stories out there about following up leads!
The sales team should:
- Follow up quickly – within 24 hours. For most sales people it is the fear of rejection that delays a follow up, but always remember that these inbound enquiries WANT you to contact them so impress them with a quick professional response while you a fresh in their mind.
- Research the person you will be calling, plan the call and be in the right frame of mind.
- Some companies have a policy of insisting that there sales team stand up when making sales calls it – you feel more energetic and businesslike – it works!
- Smile before you dial!
- An enquiry form and diary should always be to hand.
- Focus on the outcome – a specific enquiry or a meeting and ask for it! If you don’t ask, you’re unlikely to get it.
- If you need convincing about why you should follow up please have a look here: why should I follow up?
I hope some of the above has been helpful, if you would like to chat about your sales or marketing issues over a coffee please give me a call 07742 664 662 or email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org I promise I will get straight back to you!!